- 2018/06/16 We joined Partnership on AI.
The Partnership on AI (PAI) is a multistakeholder organization that brings together academics, researchers, civil society organizations, companies building and utilizing AI technology, and and other groups working to better understand AI’s impacts. The Partnership was established to study and formulate best practices on AI technologies, to advance the public’s understanding of AI, and to serve as an open platform for discussion and engagement about AI and its influences on people and society.(from PAI web page)
- 2018/07/23-27 ALIFE 2018: A Hybrid of ECAL and ALife
This is an international conference on artificial life that is being co-organized by our Center.
- Nippon Keidanren, the 21st Century Public Policy Institute "Towards the Full-Scale Spread of Artificial Intelligence" " Symposia
- 2018/05/12   Moderate distance between human and machine: Robot, AI, Physical remodeling
This is an International workshop on AI that is being co-organized by our Center.
- 2018/03/03 International symposium on Ethics and legal systems of AI and Robots
This is an International workshop on ethics and legal systems of AI and robots that is being co-organized by our Center.
- 2018/02/14 UTokyo Research "In pursuit of Artificial Intelligence with a Human Mind"
- 2018/01/22 Public Symposium "Beyond Deep Learning: Toward Fusion with Symbol Reasoning"
This is an public symposium on next generation artificial intelligence that is being co-organized by our Center.
- 2017/11/25-26 The sixth workshop on the Developmental Neuroscience Society of Japan
This developmental neuroscience workshop was co-organized by our Center.
- 2017/10/12 Beneficial AI Tokyo
This workshop, co-organized by our Center, was held in association with the symposium on AI and Society to explore the challenges of building an effective global community to ensure that the development of AI is safe and beneficial for all, with a particular focus on Japan. The participants from academia, NPOs/NGOs, and industry, expressed commitment to working towards AI for good and endorsed a Conference Statement‘Cooperation for Beneficial AI,' which is now publicly released.
- 2017/10/10-11 AI and Society
This is an international symposium on the theme of "artificial intelligence (AI) and society" that is being organized by our Center.
In this symposium, invited national and international speakers, who are leaders in the field of AI, from both industry as well as academia, will discuss various aspects of state-of-the-art AI technology and its social impacts. We hope that this symposium will act as a trigger to achieve a deeper understanding of AI, enable the Japanese AI community to actively develop contacts with its international counterparts, and generate a stream of contributions to society through enhanced exchanges between industry and research institutes.
- 2017/10/12- Beneficial AI Japan
This is a global community working toward safe and useful next generation artificial intelligence, which is co-promoted by our Center.
- 2017/05/25 Gakunaikoho (for communication across the University of Tokyo) May 2017 No. 1496 (2017.5.25) page 7
- 2016/09/26 Press conference on "Establishment of a Next Generation Artificial Intelligence Research Center at the University of Tokyo"
External funding sources
- Action plan based on "The University of Tokyo Vision 2020." Advance Planning for the New Establishment of the "Next Generation Intelligence Research Center"
- Next Generation Artificial Intelligence Research Center. Excellence in education and research courses, Educational research subsidy, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology
- New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) Projects to research and develop next generation artificial intelligence and robotics basic technologies
- Donations from NVIDIA
Development of human resources
- Cooperate with "Advanced Artificial Intelligence Theory I, II" (Lecture on Graduate School of Information Science and Technology)
- Cooperate with "Advanced Artificial Intelligence Education Donation Grant" (Graduate School of Information Science and Technology)
- NEDO / AIRC = University of Tokyo Artificial Intelligence Advanced Technology Human Resources Development Course" (external funding)
- Cooperate with "Toyota / Dwango High School Intelligence and Human Resources Scholarship" Tokyo University